A MAJOR symposium to be held on the Rock will explore life in Gibraltar during the Spanish Civil War.
The event, planned by retired members of the Unite union to take place in February 2015, will study the effects of the Spanish Civil War on the community, in particular trade unions and other workers’ movements.
When Nationalist forces landed in Algeciras in 1936 many Spanish trade unionists and Republican sympathisers sought refuge in Gibraltar.
Foreign experts will speak on the subject and the organisers have been amassing information from the files of the Museum of Gibraltar, the Gibraltar Garrison Library and the Department of Culture.
Local people who have any historically-significant objects – photos, newspaper clippings personal items – or are willing to share their personal experiences should call 00 350 200 74185
- British RAF pilot brings new – and MUCH cheaper – property listing concept to Spain - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 17:21
- Spain’s Supreme Court bans historic bull hunting and spearing tradition in Castilla y Leon - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 11:00
- Malaga’s ‘Banksy’ attracts world attention replicating masterpieces on the streets of Spain and Europe - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 10:00
- M1 Legal is stacking up the victories against Spain’s Timeshare giants - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 11:13
- How to Improve Academic Writing Skills for UK University Admission - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 09:37
- Giant electricity pylons rampaging across the valley vista in Sierra Nevada - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 18:57
- Living with Gaudi – Turkish art dealer builds home inside iconic tourist attraction - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 18:38
- Spain tops global health league but all is not well for expats - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 16:59
- Lady Elizabeth School, in Benitachell Alicante, is to have its grand inauguration this month - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:32
- How do casino promotions work in Spain? - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:05