MORE than 65,000 people have signed a petition calling for an end to ‘cruel and painful’ pony carousels.
Expat animal lover Michael Owens took his petition, totalling 65,556 signatures, to Mijas Town Hall in an attempt to end the practice in Mijas, La Cala de Mijas, and Las Lagunas.
Pony carousels are banned in the region, but La Cala’s feria allegedly still featured one, with several animals trudging around the same small circle until well into the morning.
When locals voiced concerns, Owens, 76, leapt into action, drawing on his experience taken from a previous campaign against the controversial donkey rides in Mijas.
The campaigner gathered signatures from every corner of the globe, posting the petition on the U.S.-based petition platform Care2.com.
With such a strong backing behind him, Owens took the 2.507 page petition to Mijas mayor – also his close friend – Angel Nozal. It has now been officially submitted to the Oficina de Registro system and is being investigated. In the meantime, local residents are in uproar, including Alora resident Pat Woodley, who told the Olive Press that she was ‘shocked’ when she heard the carousels were still occurring.
“I am in favour of the strongest possible protest against this blatant cruelty,” said animal enthusiast Woodley.
- Everything you need to know about Spain’s general election on Sunday April 28 - 26 Apr, 2019 @ 13:47
- IN PICS: The women competing for your vote to be crowned Miss World Malaga on the same day as Spain’s general election - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 09:00
- The Online Gambling Industry in Gibraltar - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 14:10
- Heat and sun returns to Spain’s Costa del Sol from Friday with highs of 24C forecast for next week - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:54
- NOT MOO-VING: Moment stubborn cow causes traffic jam on busy A-7 in southern Spain - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:31
- Almost 40% of Spaniards fear Brexit will have a ‘very negative’ impact on Spain’s economy - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:03
- A Guide To Choosing The Right Casino For You - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 09:05
- Paedo pensioner, 88, spared jail after sexually abusing neighbour’s 8-year-old daughter in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 14:37
- IN PICTURES: Easter processions kick off in fine weather in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 10:06
- IN PICS: British family and Madrid studio restore gorgeous period house in Spain into B&B - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 17:54