CATALAN ex-president Jordi Pujol has been accused of money laundering and influence tracking in a complaint filed by Manos Limpias (Clean Hands) in a Barcelona court.
This Spanish anti-corruption organisation claims that Pujol embezzled public funds, accepted bribes and falsified official documents. It also lists his wife Marta Ferrusola as an accessory.
This comes just weeks after the ex-President confessed to laundering up to €18 million in Andorran and Swiss accounts to evade taxes.
Pujol, who founded the Catalan political party CDC, was stripped of all titles and privileges, including his pension, personal car and chauffeur and political perks as ex-President.
Pujol’s actions have weakened Catalunya’s independence movement, as its central argument – that Catalunya pays more in taxes to Spain than it receives in benefit – has lost integrity after the money laundering case.
“Saying that Catalonia is stripped of everything by the Spanish state is a fallacy that is beginning to be debunked,” said PP deputy leader Maria Dolores de Cospedal. “Obviously Mr Pujol’s confession helps in that sense.”
Catalunya’s current president Artur Mas was hand-picked by Pujol, though he has distanced himself from the disgraced leader.
The corruption complaint has been officially received by the court but the judge must decide whether to take the case, which can take years in Spanish courts.
- IN PICS: The women competing for your vote to be crowned Miss World Malaga on the same day as Spain’s general election - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 09:00
- The Online Gambling Industry in Gibraltar - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 14:10
- Heat and sun returns to Spain’s Costa del Sol from Friday with highs of 24C forecast for next week - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:54
- NOT MOO-VING: Moment stubborn cow causes traffic jam on busy A-7 in southern Spain - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:31
- Almost 40% of Spaniards fear Brexit will have a ‘very negative’ impact on Spain’s economy - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:03
- A Guide To Choosing The Right Casino For You - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 09:05
- Paedo pensioner, 88, spared jail after sexually abusing neighbour’s 8-year-old daughter in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 14:37
- IN PICTURES: Easter processions kick off in fine weather in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 10:06
- IN PICS: British family and Madrid studio restore gorgeous period house in Spain into B&B - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 17:54
- SHELL SHOCKED: Unexploded BOMB found on property in Spain’s Malaga - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 12:05