HE’S a 93-year-old war veteran, she’s his 91-year-old wife who has never stepped foot on a plane.
And now they are about to embark on their first ever overseas holiday together, to Benidorm.
Charlie and Madge Pallett, from Kent in the UK, have been married for 71 years and have always before gone on holiday to the British seaside.
While Madge has only ever been abroad once – on a one-day ferry trip to Le Touquet in France – Charlie hasn’t been on a plane since being evacuated from Germany on a stretcher during the Second World War.
But they will soon be taking the rays at the Hotel Sol Pelicanos, where hit British TV series Benidorm – starring Joan Collins – is filmed.
The grandparents of five and great-grandparents of seven, are being accompanied by their daughters Doreen England, 67, Yvonne Elliott, 65, and their granddaughter Leigh Plumby, 46.
While Madge is very nervous about the flight and ‘going into the unknown’, Charlie joked that the plane’s legroom might not be up to the standard he is used to, after previously flying laid out on a stretcher.
“I flew in a Dakota from Germany to France when I broke my ankle during the war but that was a hospital plane,” he said.
“It was lovely, I got to lie down on a stretcher but I’m not sure if I’ll get the same legroom this time.
“Madge has never set foot on a plane and she gets very anxious on public transport, you can’t even get her on a bus. I fell off my chair when she said yes to the trip.”
But they might need a shopping trip before the holiday, as Charlie’s favourite pair of swimming trunks are left over from the 1960s.
He added: “I was asked what the pocket inside them was for and I said that’s where I’m going to keep my false teeth.”
- What a mission! My six weeks at a language school in Sevilla - 23 May, 2015 @ 15:30
- Flamenco and the Alhambra as home-time is looming - 16 Apr, 2015 @ 15:05
- ‘Giving light’ and tile-painting in Triana - 10 Apr, 2015 @ 15:47
- Taking my mind off the end of Semana Santa - 6 Apr, 2015 @ 15:53
- Sinners in spiky hats - 2 Apr, 2015 @ 09:01
- The suspense is growing for Semana Santa - 29 Mar, 2015 @ 10:48
- A Mesquita and a mosquito - 23 Mar, 2015 @ 19:58
- Just the weather for a solar eclipse - 20 Mar, 2015 @ 18:51
- A Roman market and St Patrick’s Day in Sevilla - 18 Mar, 2015 @ 15:30
- The Spanish sorting hat of doom - 14 Mar, 2015 @ 11:05