SPANISH celebrity singer Isabel Pantoja is to be sent to prison, after being sentenced for money laundering.
Sevilla-born Pantoja – the former lover of ex-Marbella mayor Julian Munoz – now has three days to appeal the two-year sentence.
Pantoja helped her former lover launder money, illicitly obtained from Marbella Town Hall during his time as mayor.
The Malaga court returned a unanimous verdict on Monday, recognizing her part in a political corruption as ‘one of the most devastating in democratic society’.
The court accepted the request by Pantoja’s lawyers to pay her €1.1 million fine – of which she has already paid €100,000 – in parts.
Munoz’s ex-wife Maite Zaldivar began a two-and-a-half year jail sentence last week, also found guilty of helping her ex-husband launder money.
Both women were aware of the illegality of the money, according to the court.
Munoz is currently serving a six-and-a-half year sentence for money-laundering and bribery.
- What a mission! My six weeks at a language school in Sevilla - 23 May, 2015 @ 15:30
- Flamenco and the Alhambra as home-time is looming - 16 Apr, 2015 @ 15:05
- ‘Giving light’ and tile-painting in Triana - 10 Apr, 2015 @ 15:47
- Taking my mind off the end of Semana Santa - 6 Apr, 2015 @ 15:53
- Sinners in spiky hats - 2 Apr, 2015 @ 09:01
- The suspense is growing for Semana Santa - 29 Mar, 2015 @ 10:48
- A Mesquita and a mosquito - 23 Mar, 2015 @ 19:58
- Just the weather for a solar eclipse - 20 Mar, 2015 @ 18:51
- A Roman market and St Patrick’s Day in Sevilla - 18 Mar, 2015 @ 15:30
- The Spanish sorting hat of doom - 14 Mar, 2015 @ 11:05