FOLLOWING in the footsteps of David Beckham, Michael Owen and Jonathon Woodgate, former Grimsby Town defender Charlie I’Anson is ‘proud’ to be flying the flag for English footballers in Spain.
I’Anson is currently the only English player playing in any of Spain’s professional leagues.
A former team-mate of Real Madrid’s Isco, I’Anson now plies his trade with Segunda Division side Alcorcon.
“It was a surprise to me when I heard I was the only English player in Spain.
“Great players such as Beckham and Cunningham have played here and it’s an honour to be the only English player at present.”
I’Anson played with Real Madrid star Isco at Malaga-based club Benamiel before moving on to Fuengirola.
He said: “Isco is a great player now. I met with him whilst playing for the team in Arroyo de la Miel, where we both lived.
“It’s a humble club but they always looked after us both really well. As a player I was brought up here.”
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36