BRITISH lawyer Ralph Smith has been honoured with a Member of the British Empire (MBE) award for his services to the British Embassy and expat community in Spain.
Smith, international counsel at Gomez Acebo & Pombo law firm in Madrid, was included on the 2015 honours list as a result of his voluntary work on behalf of the British community in Spain.
Quick to applaud the work of his co-workers, Smith praised the ‘invaluable support’ of his colleagues and of his wife.
“It was a wonderful surprise to receive the news,” said Smith.
“But it’s also humbling to realize that nowadays, unless you live as a hermit in a cave, your work inevitably ends up being a team effort.
“You try to do your job the very best as you can, but when something like this happens, it’s just a delightful surprise.”
British Ambassador to Spain, Simon Manley, added his congratulations to Smith’s honour.
He said: “I would like to congratulate Ralph for his richly deserved award after so many years of service to the British Embassy and to the British community in Spain.”
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36