DEPUTY UK Prime Minister Nick Clegg has rubbished the idea of using his Spanish wife as a ‘PR seesaw’ despite her growing reputation.
The popularity of Miriam Gonzalez Durantez has rocketed over the past 12 months as her work for women’s rights has gained momentum.
But Clegg denied wishing to use wife’s ‘fan base’ to enhance the Liberal Democrats’ electoral fortunes in the couple’s first joint interview with Red magazine.
“We’re husband and wife,” he said. “I don’t think of Miriam as some sort of PR seesaw. It would literally never occur to me.”
The couple also revealed that ‘big arguments’ and ‘a lot of laughter’ are the secrets behind their 14-year happy marriage.
Durantez’s rise to fame took off following her involvement with the Inspiring Women campaign, which sends female role models into secondary schools in an effort to encourage teenage girls to think about their career options.
Meanwhile, Clegg’s popularity rating continues to plummet as the Liberal Democrats struggle to recover from an embarrassing showing in last year’s local and European elections.
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36