GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN: Dobsons son Garlev with Louis
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN: Dobson’s son Garlev with Louis

A DOG-lover who watched his beloved pet die in agony is urging other owners to be on the look-out for rampant killer caterpillars.

English expat Paul Dobson, 55, could do nothing to save his rottweiler, Louis, after he was fatally poisoned by processionary caterpillars in Velez-Malaga.

Despite three days in intensive care, Louis died from eating the poisonous larvae, which are very active in pine forests during winter months.

“I found my beloved rottie suffocating on his own tongue. He was slobbering profusely and vomiting everywhere,” Dobson said.

“If your dog shows these symptoms get them to a vet. Don’t wait and see what happens, do not waste time ringing, just go!”

Expat vet Jens Klausen told The Olive Press he has seen an increase in the number of poisonous caterpillars over the last three years.

He said: “The hairs are extremely poisonous. If a dog sniffs or eats them then they should immediately be washed with water.

“I have had to remove parts of a dog’s tongue or lips because of this. It really is horrible to see.”



  1. I’ve seen large trains of these marching around in circles, nasty looking hairs and dangerous to asthmatics and those with respiratory problems. Even known expats douse them with petrol and set light. Careful not to sit under pine trees as well.

  2. These horrible caterpillars contaminate your garden for months.

    Last year we put traps, made from empty milk cartons, around the tree trunks to catch the caterpillars as they descended. This year we had fewer nests and fewer caterpillars than in previous years.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.