ONE of Europe’s biggest gangsters helped launder €200 million through Costa del Sol companies, it has emerged.
Dubbed the ‘Polish Al Capone’ and the ‘CEO of organised crime’, Ricardo Fanchini headed a network which laundered the Russian mafia’s black money in Spain.
Fanchini, currently in prison in America for drug trafficking, was able to launder millions through his Malaga network fronted by Ukrainian Robert Gaspar, 55, and Armenian Robert Mani, 54.
The pair fled Spain after police clamped down on their schemes, which involved paying millions to Casares Town Hall to breach planning laws over the construction of Majestic urbanisation.
The two right-hand men also set up a series of media companies, magazines and radio stations to launder money, it has emerged after the judge lifted a secrecy order on the ongoing case.
These included Radio Europe Mediterraneo (REM), fronted by disgraced former DJ Maurice Boland, and now rebranded as Talk Radio Europe (TRE).
Other companies Carrera Entertainments and Seabreeze Productions organised races at Mijas racecourse and even concerts, including Bryan Adams and Jamiroquai.
While Mani was arrested at Malaga airport last year, Gaspar is still the subject of an arrest warrant.
The Majestic investigation began with the arrest of Casares mayor Juan Sanchez three years ago and has seen the embargo of up to 250 homes on the Costa del Sol and five commercial premises.
Some 19 top-of-the-range cars have also been seized.
Other companies set up by the Russians include Casares golf gardens, Sol Mijas Developers and Blue Sky Television.
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44