IT is 30 years since a group of optimistic thespians transformed a fleapit cinema in Fuengirola into a thriving theatre.
US chart-topper Acker Bilk, in trademark bowler hat, goatee beard and striped waistcoat, opened Salon Varietes’ first show in June 1985.
For seven years the theatre survived thanks to volunteers contributing funds and physical labour, and in 1992 became a cultural association with an elected board of nine.
Fast forward to 2015, through years of productions from Shakespeare to Chekhov, thrillers to historical dramas, and the theatre is in better shape than ever.
And now the 30th birthday celebrations will begin on Friday April 17 with the launch of a 50-page commemorative magazine, everyone is welcome to attend at the theatre between 12:30 and 2pm.
The celebrations continue with The Reunion Weekend (June 12 -14) with the highlight being the Anniversary Concert in the Mijas Auditorium on June 13.
More than 80 talented performers are involved in the show, produced by the popular John Gale, who is also appearing at Salon Varietes in his brand-new show ‘One Night in Vegas’ with another top entertainer – Ricky Lavazza.
To book tickets contact 952 474 542 or www.salonvarietestheatre.com
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44