RAFAEL Benitez is set to be named as the new boss of Real Madrid after arriving in the capital.
The Spaniard is now available after calling time on a two-year spell with Napoli.
Real Madrid vice-president Eduardo Fernandez de Blas apparently confirmed his appointment for the Spanish giants ahead of a time at a fans’ meeting.
“Carlo Ancelotti is a phenomenon. We thank him. Until three days ago for me he was the best coach in the world, just like two years ago Jose Mourinho was and starting from next week Rafael Benitez will be,” said De Blas, according to sports newspaper AS.
Benitez, 55, has previously led Liverpool to Champions League victory, as well as having successful managerial stints at Chelsea, Inter Milan and Valencia.
Italian Carlo Ancelotti was sacked by Real Madrid after one trophlyess season, despite winning both the Champions League and the Copa del Rey the previous year.
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44