ACCORDING to a recent marketing report by BRIC consulting group, Barcelona is the fifth most visited city in Europe in terms of overnight stays.
The Catalonian capital accommodates about 7.5 million tourists every year. Last year, there were more than 17 million overnight stays in the city.
Barcelona was the top Spanish destination and the only non-capital city in the top five, beating out rival Madrid.
Eighty percent of Barcelona’s tourists are foreign, while 60% of visitors to Madrid come from other parts of Spain.
The top five most visited European cities are as follows:
- Reggae star Maxi Priest headlines Gibraltar National Day Concert - 8 Sep, 2015 @ 12:14
- Catalan restaurant charges customer for aspirin - 6 Sep, 2015 @ 18:53
- Michelin-starred London chef expands to Madrid - 6 Sep, 2015 @ 12:31
- Endangered leopard at Bioparc Fuengirola - 5 Sep, 2015 @ 17:49
- Record harvest boosts Spain’s wine exports - 5 Sep, 2015 @ 17:12
- Spain’s top chefs, the Roca brothers, pick out their favourite eateries - 5 Sep, 2015 @ 13:58
- Balloon debate ahead of Gibraltar National Day - 5 Sep, 2015 @ 11:57
- Spanish properties worth up to 124% more with a swimming pool - 4 Sep, 2015 @ 14:59
- Found in Translation - 2 Sep, 2015 @ 18:09
- Spanish flat shares for students are among Europe’s cheapest - 30 Aug, 2015 @ 14:00