A RECORD number of sporty Spaniards are thronging Sierra Nevada to enjoy its summer activities.
The Granada mountain range drew 4,436 budding sports stars to participate in competitions between June and September, a rise of 20% from last year.
Skiing, snowboarding and mountain biking are proving big hits with energetic visitors to the Andalucian resort.
María José Rienda, director general of Activities and Promotion of Sport, said: “The pairing of tourism and sport is generating maximum activity, business and hotel occupancy at the resort.”
Overall, more than 41,000 visitors have flocked to the resort this summer, a 13% rise.
The continued popularity of Sierra Nevada Bike Park and a new programme of outdoor activities, Sensations, have helped pull in the punters.
New competitions at Sierra Nevada this summer include Ultratrail Sierra Nevada, the Night Ride to Veleta MTB, the Edition of Roads and Stairs and the MTB Cup Bull Bikes.
- M1 Legal is stacking up the victories against Spain’s Timeshare giants - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 11:13
- How to Improve Academic Writing Skills for UK University Admission - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 09:37
- Giant electricity pylons rampaging across the valley vista in Sierra Nevada - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 18:57
- Living with Gaudi – Turkish art dealer builds home inside iconic tourist attraction - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 18:38
- Spain tops global health league but all is not well for expats - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 16:59
- Lady Elizabeth School, in Benitachell Alicante, is to have its grand inauguration this month - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:32
- How do casino promotions work in Spain? - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:05
- Most Attractive Industries to Invest in Gibraltar - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:01
- Ceramics are the hot new design trend styling up interiors this year - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 10:22
- Architect of Spain’s largest indoor sports arena scoops this year’s prestigious Pritzker Prize - 17 Mar, 2019 @ 18:04