WE all know that Christmas is the time for giving and many people want to help charity at this time. What many people don’t know is that the old glasses that are kicking around at home or in the car can help someone else to see.
How can my old glasses help someone?
There is always a shortage of glasses in developing countries as they have no medical support or access to opticians, so donations of old glasses are absolutely vital to people with poor vision in countries such as Africa and India. Specsavers have collection points in all their stores so that it’s easy for people to drop off their glasses and these glasses are then donated to the Lions Club.
But surely my glasses won’t be right for just anyone?
You’re right, it takes a lot to get the glasses ready to use! After the glasses are donated in store they are sent to the Lions Club’s recycling plant in Alicante where they are first separated into single vision, bifocals, varifocals and sunglasses. They are then graded according to prescription strength, cleaned and boxed for distribution. Lions Club representatives are located across many developing countries including Africa and India. They test the eyes of locals and send requests for the required prescription glasses onto the fulfilment plant. So each pair donated is hand selected for specific people in need.
How can I donate my glasses?
All Specsavers Opticas stores have a strong relationship with their local Lions Clubs and glasses can be donated at any of their Costa del Sol stores in Marbella and Fuengirola throughout the year. All stores will also be supporting charities close to their hearts over Christmas. Fuengirola will be supporting the Costa del Sol’s Food Bank Bancosol by collecting food and raising funds in store. To find your nearest store visit www.specsavers.es
- Eyewear by luxury fashion house Kenzo at Specsavers Opticas on Costa del Sol for limited time only - 23 Jun, 2019 @ 12:00
- Take heed of this eye care advice for World Sight Day - 11 Oct, 2018 @ 15:14
- There’s lots to consider when making the switch to contact lenses - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 10:20
- Kylie Minogue launches new range of eyewear with Specsavers - 25 May, 2018 @ 12:12
- Ask the Optician: For the full spec on eyewear from Marbella specialists - 6 Jan, 2018 @ 15:05
- CHRISTMAS WISH: Support the ONCE fundraising campaign at Specsavers Opticas - 9 Dec, 2017 @ 15:12
- All your questions about contact lenses answered - 21 Aug, 2017 @ 09:34
- Ask the Optician – What is Digital Retinal Photography? - 7 May, 2017 @ 16:00
- The leading cause of severe sight loss for over 55s in the western world - 31 Mar, 2017 @ 21:15
- Specsavers: There is a perfect pair of specs for everyone - 5 Mar, 2017 @ 17:36