A MARBELLA boxer has become a world champion for the first time.
Billy Joe Saunders, 26, is adamant he can overcome his next challenge after winning his world middleweight title bout against Ireland’s Andy Lee in Manchester.
The MGM gym boxer knocked fellow traveller Lee to the canvas with two right hooks in the third round before claiming the WBO title on points.
And Saunders is now eyeing up fights against Mexico’s Canelo Alvarez, the USA’s Daniel Jacobs or the Puerto Rican former WBC champion Miguel Cotto.
“Since I’ve been a young boy I’ve wanted to fight Cotto. I’d love that fight, it would be a dream,” said Saunders.
“I’m in good shape now for Canelo or Cotto or Jacobs. Bring ‘em on.”
“In our community it is terrible to lose a fight to another traveller (gypsy),” he said.
“If you do, you are damned as a loser and give up all bragging rights. I couldn’t let that happen.”
- Electric cars set for Mallorca reboot thanks to AnySolution - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- I do! Balearic blushing brides attend three-day exhibition - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 14:00
- Balearic tourism boost as delegation impresses the World Travel Market - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Tourism concern as visitor numbers plummet in Catalunya’s museums - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 10:00
- US director’s Song of Sway Lake makes long-awaited red-carpet debut - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00
- Mallorquin hoteliers check-in to the Forbes rich list - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 17:00
- Biting Brit avoids jail but is handed a suspended sentence for assault - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 16:00
- Thousands of olives planted by Mallorcan scientists to discover the best strain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- Catalunya referendum could lead to recession, fears Bank of Spain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Former nightlife king Tolo Cursach refused bail as he returns to jail in Palma - 13 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00