PEDAL power is leading the push for a greener Spain by offering city cyclists enticing shopping discounts.
Ciclogreen, a Sevilla-based company, converts kilometres travelled by bike or foot into ‘ciclos’, a currency valid in participating restaurants and shops.
Registered users earn 4 ciclos for each kilometre walked, with one kilometre cycled earning 2 ciclos.
Discounts include 20% off a bike bag for 100 ciclos or a 25% reduction from a full bike maintenance for 100 ciclos.
Since it was set up 16 months ago, Ciclogreen’s 1,500 users have travelled more than 220,000 km, reducing CO2 emissions by 55 tonnes.
The award-winning scheme also operates in Madrid, Barcelona, Valladolid and Valencia.
- Electric cars set for Mallorca reboot thanks to AnySolution - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- I do! Balearic blushing brides attend three-day exhibition - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 14:00
- Balearic tourism boost as delegation impresses the World Travel Market - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Tourism concern as visitor numbers plummet in Catalunya’s museums - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 10:00
- US director’s Song of Sway Lake makes long-awaited red-carpet debut - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00
- Mallorquin hoteliers check-in to the Forbes rich list - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 17:00
- Biting Brit avoids jail but is handed a suspended sentence for assault - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 16:00
- Thousands of olives planted by Mallorcan scientists to discover the best strain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- Catalunya referendum could lead to recession, fears Bank of Spain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Former nightlife king Tolo Cursach refused bail as he returns to jail in Palma - 13 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00