MARBELLA’S crumbling sugar mill could be set for a sweeter future.
At the eleventh hour, the town hall has entered negotiations with a German restoration company to save the iconic 19th century Trapiche del Prado and adjoining sugar refinery.
Gifted to the town hall for public use by its former owner in 1992, the mill has been left to rot ever since.
Plans to tear the derelict building down in the next few months have now been put on hold with restoration company Baudenkmalpflege Katrin Piejde keen to take on the project.
“We consider the sugar mill an iconic structure and one that need not be demolished,” assistant manager Jean-Paul Piejde told the Olive Press.
“Our company is one of the best building and restoration companies in the world and we are regularly brought in by politicians to help out.
“If we can reach an agreement with the town hall we would definitely be able to help with this project.”
The news will be sweet relief to Marbella culture councillor Gema Midon after she expressed her desire to transform the building into a museum or exhibition hall.
“Rebuilding el Trapiche requires a huge amount of money and lots of time,” said Midon.“But we are looking at a long-term project and our first priority is to slow down the decay and reinforce the structure.”
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36