THE world’s most expensive footballer has commissioned the construction of a golf course in his backyard.
Real Madrid superstar Gareth Bale has brought in the builders to recreate three famous holes at his Vale of Glamorgan home, in Wales.
Bale wants three holes from three separate courses to be replicated out the back of his home – the Postage Stamp at Troon, the Amen Corner 11th at Augusta, home of The Masters, and the 17th at Sawgrass, venue for the The Players Championship.
“At the moment, I am obsessed with golf,” he said.
“I love the sport, I love the fact that you can just get away from everything, be with your friends, and switch your mind off from football.
He added: “I’ve not really thought about what I’ll be doing in 20 years when I’m retired from football, but, hopefully, I will be playing golf.”
Bale’s love for golf has grown since he moved to Spain in 2013.
He attributes his active golfing life to his improved physique since joining Real Madrid and was seen swinging the irons on the Costa del Sol with England international Phil Jagielka last summer.
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36