AMY Fitzpatrick’s stepfather has gone on trial charged with murdering his stepson by ‘gutting’ him.
David Mahon is accused of stabbing Dean Fitzpatrick to death in a row over a bicycle in May 2013.
Amy went missing in Spain on New Year’s Day 2008.
Mahon pleaded not guilty to killing the 23-year-old Dean in Mahon’s home in Dublin.
The row erupted after Mahon found somebody had tampered with his bike at the gym they were both members of.
CCTV footage appeared to identify Fitzpatrick as the culprit.
Witnesses reported that Mahon was angry over the incident and had been drinking heavily before phoning Fitzpatrick to come to Mahon’s home.
“It’s what happened when he walked out the door that’s the issue,” said prosecution barrister Remy Farrell.
“David Mahon arrived back in and had a carving knife,” he said.
“The prosecution case is that David Mahon stabbed Dean Fitzpatrick in the abdomen.
“There was a piece of intestine protruding,” he said. “In common terms, he had been gutted.”
Mahon and his partner, Audrey Fitzpatrick, moved with Amy and Dean in 2004 to Spain.
- Electric cars set for Mallorca reboot thanks to AnySolution - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- I do! Balearic blushing brides attend three-day exhibition - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 14:00
- Balearic tourism boost as delegation impresses the World Travel Market - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Tourism concern as visitor numbers plummet in Catalunya’s museums - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 10:00
- US director’s Song of Sway Lake makes long-awaited red-carpet debut - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00
- Mallorquin hoteliers check-in to the Forbes rich list - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 17:00
- Biting Brit avoids jail but is handed a suspended sentence for assault - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 16:00
- Thousands of olives planted by Mallorcan scientists to discover the best strain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- Catalunya referendum could lead to recession, fears Bank of Spain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Former nightlife king Tolo Cursach refused bail as he returns to jail in Palma - 13 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00