HUNDREDS of thousands of people around the world marched in celebration of International Workers’ Day yesterday.
The day, which celebrates laborers and the working classes, is promoted by the international labor movement, socialists and communists, and occurs on May 1 every year.
Madrid saw union groups and workers shout slogans and wave flags adorning a picture of scissors inside the word ‘NO’ – a call to the government to stop cuts.
They chanted demands for higher wages, better conditions and more job security as, like many countries, Spain continues to battle economic uncertainty and high unemployment.
Spanish protesters also held banners reading “No one is illegal” and “No to TTIP,” in reaction to the EU’s immigration policy and the controversial transatlantic trade agreement with the US.
In Paris, people were arrested as riot police struggled to control the crowds, who were irate over a potential new bill that would see longer working hours introduced.
Violence also erupted in the Philippines and Turkey’s Istanbul, where one marcher was killed when he was hit by a water canon vehicle.
London saw thousands of protestors joined by Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, who denounced the advancements of far-right groups across Europe and spoke out against the rise of anti-semitism.
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37