KING Felipe of Spain has for the first time allowed independent auditors to analyse the royal family’s books.
The move is an attempt to restore confidence in the monarchy following the scandal-hit reign of his father.
The accounts show the King earns €236,544 a year, and that he has taken a 20% pay cut since assuming the throne in 2014.
Queen Letizia is paid €130,092, while his parents Juan Carlos and Sofia receive €189,228 and €106,452 respectively.
The four are now the only royals to be paid a salary after Felipe reduced the amount of family members on the payroll.
Last year, the royal household made savings of €155,000 out of its €7.7m budget, while they spent €661,000 on “official acts and social occasions” and €130,000 on travel.
A poll last month revealed 52% of Spaniards support the new king, a stark improvement from when his father abdicated given that two thirds of Spaniards were calling for a referendum on the monarchy.
- Expats rally around British pensioner made homeless on Spain’s Costa del Sol as alleged ‘squatter tenants’ speak out - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 20:32
- British expats and locals FUMING as celebrity chef Dani Garcia’s chiringuito gets go ahead on protected land in southern Spain - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 12:16
- Mercadona refuses to review security measures on Spain’s Costa del Sol after string of British expats robbed in its stores - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 13:33
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09