THE first official photographs of David Cameron’s visit to Gibraltar have been released.
The images show the Prime Minister with Chief Minister Fabian Picardo in the first visit by a serving British leader since Harold Wilson in 1968.
During lenghty private meeting on Thursday, the leaders discussed Cameron’s long-standing support for Gibraltar, the strengthening relationship between the UK and the Rock and protecting Gibraltar’s self-determination.
A planned rally in Casemates Square that evening was called off after the murder of Labour MP Jo Cox in her Yorkshire constituency.
Picardo said: “Although we felt it was inappropriate to make a public appearance, I was able to meet with the Prime Minister in private and we engaged in lengthy discussions both as diplomats and also on a personal level.
“In these turbulent times, I am entirely confident that Gibraltar can count on the unwavering support of the Prime Minister and the UK Parliament.”
Cameron can be seen shaking hands with Picardo after landing at Gibraltar Airport.
He later held a private meeting with 30 Gibraltar dignitaries in the Rock Hotel.
All referendum campaigning was called off until Saturday as a mark of respect to mother-of-two Cox.
- Electric cars set for Mallorca reboot thanks to AnySolution - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- I do! Balearic blushing brides attend three-day exhibition - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 14:00
- Balearic tourism boost as delegation impresses the World Travel Market - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Tourism concern as visitor numbers plummet in Catalunya’s museums - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 10:00
- US director’s Song of Sway Lake makes long-awaited red-carpet debut - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00
- Mallorquin hoteliers check-in to the Forbes rich list - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 17:00
- Biting Brit avoids jail but is handed a suspended sentence for assault - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 16:00
- Thousands of olives planted by Mallorcan scientists to discover the best strain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- Catalunya referendum could lead to recession, fears Bank of Spain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Former nightlife king Tolo Cursach refused bail as he returns to jail in Palma - 13 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00