SPAIN’S longtime North Korean ‘ambassador’ has been arrested for arms trafficking.
Alejandro Cao de Benos, an IT consultant from Barcelona who is the only Westerner to work for the reclusive regime, has been picked up by Spanish authorities in Tarragona.
At least nine others were arrested with the 42-year-old, including the head of the alleged arms trafficking gang, which is said to have operated out of Murcia.
Alejandro became intrigued with North Korea when he was growing up, and now visits the repressive regime twice a month as a part of his role.
He claims to receive a warm reception each time he visits.
Inspired to improve North Korea’s international image, Alejandro created the Korean Friendship Association in the year 2000.
It has since amassed official representatives across 28 countries, including Spain, Italy, Norway, Brazil, Germany and Russia.
The allegations he now faces claim he was in posession of three blank-firing pistols modified to shoot real bullets.
However sources say he bought the weapons for his own personal defense from the alleged drug traffickers, one of whom is his room mate.
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37
- British giant Virgin Trains eyes up moving into Spain market after UK becomes ‘uninvestable’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:49
- Expert says southern Spain and Balearics at ‘great risk’ of tsunamis but authorities ‘are not prepared’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:19