THE Partido Popular is to face trial for destroying two laptops which were crucial evidence in corruption cases.
The computers had been used by former party treasurer Luis Barcenas who managed contributions from businesses and individuals.
He is currently on trial, alongside five other PP members, on charges of organised crime, falsifying accounts, influence-peddling and tax crimes.
It has been ruled that the right-wing party will be treated like an individual and brought to court with its new treasurer Carmen Navarro, where it will face charges of perverting the court of justice and destroying evidence.
A court document claims party employees wiped and disposed of hard disks from the laptops after Barcenas was barred from entering the PP’s Madrid headquarters in early 2013.
He has since admitted that the two laptops did belong to him during his stint as treasurer.
According to the document, the PP could be indicted ‘for not having created an adequate organisational and management framework to prevent this crime from taking place’.
A party spokesman declined to comment on the case, while the PP has continually denied charges of involvement in corruption.
- Marbella has never lost its charm – in fact it’s only getting better, writes Laurence Dollimore - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35