‘THE beach is calling and I must go’ reads a chapter of the menu at magical Gigi Beach.
And there are few places on the Andalucian coastline that I would rather be at lunchtime in summer.
A place where the well-heeled captains of industry take their lunch, the chiringuito screams class and quality.
Set up by the well travelled Georgina ‘Gigi’ Taylor, 29, three years ago, everything from the plates to the chandeliers spells creativity with a capital C.
But you are here for the food, which is inspired by Gigi’s many travels around the globe.
A clue is the pole at the entrance, which points to everywhere including New Delhi, Rio and Dublin. “London bizarrely fell off the day after Brexit,” laughs Gigi.
The half-Argentinian, half Londoner, who went to school in Marbella, continues: “I like to offer Ottolenghi-style food, very fresh, with Asiatic twists, and everything created with lots of love.”
Certainly, the tuna tartare matches this description, sitting on a bed of avocado, while the ‘espeto’ grilled sardines were amazing.
Her loyal clientele includes such luminaries as racing driver Eddie Jordan, wine merchant Robin Byers and Tim Reid, the former Mandarin Oriental bigwig, who couldn’t speak more highly of the place and insisted on being photographed with a sign at the door.
“The food is fabulous, fresh and well worth the journey from Jerez today,” he says.
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00