EU countries have begun talks on the creation of a European Defense Union, a collective security pact similar to NATO.
France, Italy and Germany’s defence ministers discussed the idea on Thursday after it was reintroduced at a trilateral meeting between the three countries on August 22.
German Defense Minister Ursual Von der Leyen said: “It’s time to move forward to a European Defense Union, which is basically a ‘Schengen of defense’, this is what the Americans expect us to do.”
The hopes are that the EU bloc will reach a level of collective security that will allow its members to treat Article 42(7) of the EU Treaty as the equivalent of NATO’s Article V guarantee, meaning an attack on one member is an attack on every member.
The treaty would commit all members to retaliate against any state that attacked an EU country.
It is designed to act as a deterrent to would-be attackers.
An Italian defense source told press the initiative has been catalyzed by the June 23 referendum.
“The UK’s exit frees up a lot of energy because they blocked everything,” they said.
The Italians are now proposing giving European defense ministries and private firms access to financing from the EU investment bank and the EU fund for Strategic Investments to build military infrastructure.
The creation of the pact will be discussed further at a meeting of EU leaders in Bratislava, Slovakia on September 16.
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38