VIDEO footage has emerged of a Spaniard being attacked for speaking in his native tongue on a UK high street.
Tomas Gil, from Valencia, was talking to his girlfriend after a night out in Poole when he was set upon by a thug.
The 27 year old was overheard by Danial Way, who proceeded to rip a plank of wood off a building and smash it into Gil’s face.
He shouted during the attack: “Fucking Spanish, speak English!”
The incident was caught on CCTV and shows Gil fall to the ground after being hit.
He was briefly knocked unconscious and suffered cuts and bruises to his mouth.
Way was restrained by members of the public until he was arrested on May 19.
He has pleaded guilty to racially aggravated assault occasioning actual bodily harm and criminal damage.
Judge Brian Forster called Way’s behaviour ‘totally unacceptable’.
He said: “On the morning in question, you took part in what can only be considered to be totally gratuitous and unnecessary violence.”
Way was convicted to 12 months in prison and must complete 150 hours of unpaid work and carry out 25 rehabilitation activity days and pay his victim just short of €900.
- Body of British expat dad pulled from submerged car in reservoir in Spain after he vanished three months ago - 27 Jun, 2019 @ 11:03
- Brazilian soldier from convoy of President Bolsonaro arrested for smuggling cocaine into Spain’s Sevilla after controversial leader vowed to crack down on drugs - 26 Jun, 2019 @ 12:41
- One hospitalised as roaring chemical plant fire in San Roque is brought under control - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 20:27
- Gibraltar says ‘no cause for concern’ as toxic smoke from San Roque chemical fire unlikely to affect British territory - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:55
- Firefighters near San Roque chemical fire warn of toxic smoke as Gibraltar government advises residents to CLOSE WINDOWS and doors - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:35
- WATCH: Homes evacuated as huge chemical fire ‘covers cars in ash’ and ‘turns sky dark’ near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:59
- IN VIDEOS: HUGE mushroom cloud of toxic black smoke as fire BLAZES at chemical plant near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:16
- BREAKING: Incident at San Roque oil refinery as flames and smoke billow from plant - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:54
- PLEASE SHARE: British teen launches last-ditch appeal to find dad who vanished from Spain’s Costa Blanca almost 10 years ago - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:34
- Shots fired at mosque in Spain - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:37