The 48-year-old Romanian, who lives on the streets and in between shelters in Murcia, had climbed in after mistakenly thinking it contained clothing destined for recycling.
Police were called after passersby heard a man calling for help from inside a bin in the Vistabella neighbourhood.
He had managed to find his way in despite the container using a tilting door mechanism to stop people from raiding them, a practice that has reportedly increased during Spain’s prolonged economic crisis.
A local policeman said: “We just don’t know how he managed to climb in there.”
Officers at the scene were unable to free the man and had to wait for council workers to arrive and open the container.
He was freed after half an hour without injury.
Some 31% of Murcia are at risk of poverty, making it one of the poorest regions in the country.
Councils across Spain have begun locking their bins to prevent the surge of bin scavenging.
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38
- Neanderthal FOOTPRINT found in Gibraltar by crack team of British and Spanish scientists - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:08
- Elderly couple discover multiple sets of human remains in newly bought home on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 13:27
- ANOTHER bank leaves Gibraltar ‘thanks to Brexit’ as opposition party calls on government to encourage big businesses to stay on the Rock - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:53
- British drug dealer cuffed ‘outside military establishment’ in Gibraltar carrying large amounts of cocaine - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 15:37
- IN PICS: Torching of Marbella beach club – favourite of Pamela Anderson and Eva Longoria – ‘most likely settling of accounts’, police reveal - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 13:20