ARSENAL FC forward Alexis Sanchez has been accused of defrauding Spain’s public purse of €983,443.
Similar to Lionel Messi’s case earlier this year, it is Sanchez’s income from the sale of image rights that has come under scrutiny.
Between 2012 and 2013, when he was playing for Barcelona, Sanchez ceded his image rights to what Spanish authorities believe is an instrumental company in Malta in a bid to avoid declaring tax on the image rights in Spain.
Sanchez’s agent Fernando Felicevich said: “Alexis Sanchez has perfectly obeyed every one of the laws imposed by the countries where he has resided.
“We ask the press and public at large for the upmost respect until the completion of the ongoing administrative and judicial process.”
Lionel Messi and his father were sentenced to 21 months this July for a similar tax fraud involving €4.16 million.
The pair have appealed the decision but are unlikely to see a jail cell as terms under two years in Spain are usually suspended.
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38