LAS Palmas’ Russian consulate attorney asked on live TV whether xenophobia is to blame for the unjust treatment of a Russian-Jewish family held in pre-trial detention on unclear charges.
Mr. Jose Antonio Penichet posed the question on Spanish national television about the Spanish entrepreneur of Russian-Jewish heritage Vladimir Kokorev, 66, who, with his wife and son have been detained for 18 months with no case file, expectation of a trial or formal accusation.
Media outcry erupted when a tape of a conversation between judges Salvador Alba, Emilio Moya and Carlos Vielba was uncovered by Spanish newspaper Canarias 7.
The audio log contains racial slurs against Russian, Italian and Romanian citizens and misogynistic expressions.
So far neither Spanish courts nor the Spanish Ministry of Ju
stice made steps to identify and publicly name the judge who made offensive remarks.
“I am confident that if Vladimir had a Spanish family name, he would have not suffer the same treatment,” said Mr. Penichet, pointing out that Kokorev, who has no criminal record and voluntary consented to extradition to Spain, had suffered a heart attack, minor stroke and prostate cancer.
- Read our latest newspapers: Andalucia, Mallorca, Costa Blanca & Gibraltar - 26 May, 2019 @ 09:35
- Meet Kaat Buelens, an expat Sabinillas restaurant owner and political underdog running to be your local councillor in Manilva - 25 May, 2019 @ 14:00
- Open letter from PP’s Javier Quero to people of Casares, as he bids to become mayor and ‘return Casares to its former glory’ - 25 May, 2019 @ 12:00
- WATCH: As featured in Olive Press, The Paradise Retreat that has won International Acclaim - 25 May, 2019 @ 10:30
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER! :Expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections – in which FINALLY foreigners count - 24 May, 2019 @ 01:45
- Travelling to Madrid for the Champions League Final? How to Stay Safe in the Capital - 22 May, 2019 @ 15:24
- Why is Customer Service Training Important to a Business - 21 May, 2019 @ 16:38
- Is La Liga in Danger of Irrelevance? - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:21
- Sign up with Spain’s only ‘all-in- English’ mobile service - 21 May, 2019 @ 06:46
- Spanish study finds that eating nuts in first trimester of pregnancy improves child brain development - 19 May, 2019 @ 11:00