FOUR suspected ISIS members have been arrested in Mallorca with another held in the UK during a joint operation.
Spanish police swooped on addresses in Inca, Ariany and Binissalem in the early hours of Wednesday morning to apprehend the group.
A 44-year-old imam accused by Spanish authorities of supporting ISIS was also arrested by British police in Birmingham.
He is due to appear at Westminster Magistrates Court before extradition proceedings against him start.
The police investigation into ISIS-related activities began in Mallorca in 2015, when agents uncovered a series of recruitment videos for the terrorist group on the internet.
The imam arrested in the UK is suspected of posting the videos and of having travelled twice to Palma to held radicalise others.
He is also suspected of having helped raise funds for ISIS’s brutal terror campaign in Syria.
Another suspect was arrested by police in Germany.
It comes a few weeks after it was reported over 100 SAS-trained security guards had been hired by tour operators to guard Spanish beaches popular with Brits.
- Electric cars set for Mallorca reboot thanks to AnySolution - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- I do! Balearic blushing brides attend three-day exhibition - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 14:00
- Balearic tourism boost as delegation impresses the World Travel Market - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Tourism concern as visitor numbers plummet in Catalunya’s museums - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 10:00
- US director’s Song of Sway Lake makes long-awaited red-carpet debut - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00
- Mallorquin hoteliers check-in to the Forbes rich list - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 17:00
- Biting Brit avoids jail but is handed a suspended sentence for assault - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 16:00
- Thousands of olives planted by Mallorcan scientists to discover the best strain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- Catalunya referendum could lead to recession, fears Bank of Spain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Former nightlife king Tolo Cursach refused bail as he returns to jail in Palma - 13 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00