SPAIN’S economy has surpassed its pre-crash peak after it grew 0.9% in the second quarter of 2017.
Its figures were among the strongest of a batch of European economic data released today.
It comes after the country was bailed out in 2012 by the EU at the height of Europe’s debt crisis.
Sweden’s statistics office suggested the country’s economy grew by a faster-than-expected rate of 1.7% in the April-to-June period.
France’s economy grew by 0.5% in the second quarter of the year, the same rate as in the previous three months, helped by higher exports, notably the sale of a €700m ocean liner, the Meraviglia.
Confidence levels in France have also been boosted by the recent election of President Emmanuel Macron, although that has begun to fade a little.
Meanwhile, the UK only grew by 0.3%.
Spain’s exports have been growing and unemployment falling in recent months.
The unemployment rate has dropped from 25%, during its worst times, to 17.2%.
Raj Badiani, economist at IHS Markit, said: “We believe consumer spending growth appeared to regain some momentum in the second quarter, continuing to ride on the back of strong employment creation and a comfortable financial climate.”
The Spanish government has raised its forecasts for economic growth this year and now expects the economy to grow by at least 3% in 2017.
- IN PICS: ‘One million’ march against Brexit in London - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 20:14
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31