SPAIN’S economy has surpassed its pre-crash peak after it grew 0.9% in the second quarter of 2017.
Its figures were among the strongest of a batch of European economic data released today.
It comes after the country was bailed out in 2012 by the EU at the height of Europe’s debt crisis.
Sweden’s statistics office suggested the country’s economy grew by a faster-than-expected rate of 1.7% in the April-to-June period.
France’s economy grew by 0.5% in the second quarter of the year, the same rate as in the previous three months, helped by higher exports, notably the sale of a €700m ocean liner, the Meraviglia.
Confidence levels in France have also been boosted by the recent election of President Emmanuel Macron, although that has begun to fade a little.
Meanwhile, the UK only grew by 0.3%.
Spain’s exports have been growing and unemployment falling in recent months.
The unemployment rate has dropped from 25%, during its worst times, to 17.2%.
Raj Badiani, economist at IHS Markit, said: “We believe consumer spending growth appeared to regain some momentum in the second quarter, continuing to ride on the back of strong employment creation and a comfortable financial climate.”
The Spanish government has raised its forecasts for economic growth this year and now expects the economy to grow by at least 3% in 2017.
- Mercadona refuses to review security measures on Spain’s Costa del Sol after string of British expats robbed in its stores - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 13:33
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33