A LORRY driver accused of killing three people in a Mallorca roadside pile-up has been released after appearing in court on charges of manslaughter and causing injury.
The 54-year-old was arrested after his cement lorry allegedly smashed into three cars on the opposite side of the MA13 between Sa Pobla and Alcudia on Tuesday.
His driving licence and passport have been confiscated and he has been banned from leaving the island.
Guardia Civil officers are investigating if he was using his mobile phone immediately prior to the crash, which injured six people, including a 10-year-old German girl.
The child’s mother, 51, whose 53-year-old husband died in the crash, is also in hospital.
It is believed the truck crossed onto the opposite side of the motorway at around 11am.
The truck driver, who was also taken to hospital, passed a drugs and drink test following the crash and has agreed to take another.
- Electric cars set for Mallorca reboot thanks to AnySolution - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- I do! Balearic blushing brides attend three-day exhibition - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 14:00
- Balearic tourism boost as delegation impresses the World Travel Market - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Tourism concern as visitor numbers plummet in Catalunya’s museums - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 10:00
- US director’s Song of Sway Lake makes long-awaited red-carpet debut - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00
- Mallorquin hoteliers check-in to the Forbes rich list - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 17:00
- Biting Brit avoids jail but is handed a suspended sentence for assault - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 16:00
- Thousands of olives planted by Mallorcan scientists to discover the best strain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- Catalunya referendum could lead to recession, fears Bank of Spain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Former nightlife king Tolo Cursach refused bail as he returns to jail in Palma - 13 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00