NIGHT flights could be banned from Mallorca after Palma Town Hall lodged a formal complaint to Madrid.
Neus Truyol, councillor for the environment, has written to Spain’s minister for development demanding action over noisy flights from 11pm to 6am.
Truyol said Son Sant Joan airport had become ‘an important focus of the impact on the environment and citizens’ quality of life’.
“Politics must involve the reduction of pressure on people, sustainability and a decrease in the current situation that the city and all the island requires,” wrote Truyol.
But airline bosses have criticised the suggestion, saying it will hit connecting flights.
“This will affect airline connections and will harm the business and industrial fabric of the island,” said Felipe Navio from the Spanish Association of Airline Companies (AECA).
Truyol has also called for airport authority AENA to cut noise and light pollution as well as the introduction of a noise monitor for trouble spots.
- M1 Legal is stacking up the victories against Spain’s Timeshare giants - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 11:13
- How to Improve Academic Writing Skills for UK University Admission - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 09:37
- Giant electricity pylons rampaging across the valley vista in Sierra Nevada - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 18:57
- Living with Gaudi – Turkish art dealer builds home inside iconic tourist attraction - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 18:38
- Spain tops global health league but all is not well for expats - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 16:59
- Lady Elizabeth School, in Benitachell Alicante, is to have its grand inauguration this month - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:32
- How do casino promotions work in Spain? - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:05
- Most Attractive Industries to Invest in Gibraltar - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:01
- Ceramics are the hot new design trend styling up interiors this year - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 10:22
- Architect of Spain’s largest indoor sports arena scoops this year’s prestigious Pritzker Prize - 17 Mar, 2019 @ 18:04