A THIRD migrant boat has been intercepted in Balearic waters in 24 hours.
The vessel containing 16 people was picked up south of Cabrera, with emergency services reporting the migrants are in good health apart from one suffering hypothermia.
It comes after 23 more migrants were detained after two boats landed in Mallorca waters this week.
So far, 16 migrant vessels have arrived on the island in 2017, a more-than five-fold increase on last year’s total figure of three.
On Tuesday, a boat containing 16 migrants, including two children, was picked up near Cabrera, while a second boat was found near Santanyi.
The migrants’ motor boats were detected by police radar in the early hours of Tuesday morning.
A Guardia Civil spokesperson told the Olive Press the migrants would be handed to the National Police before being transferred to a holding centre in Barcelona.
- Electric cars set for Mallorca reboot thanks to AnySolution - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- I do! Balearic blushing brides attend three-day exhibition - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 14:00
- Balearic tourism boost as delegation impresses the World Travel Market - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Tourism concern as visitor numbers plummet in Catalunya’s museums - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 10:00
- US director’s Song of Sway Lake makes long-awaited red-carpet debut - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00
- Mallorquin hoteliers check-in to the Forbes rich list - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 17:00
- Biting Brit avoids jail but is handed a suspended sentence for assault - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 16:00
- Thousands of olives planted by Mallorcan scientists to discover the best strain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- Catalunya referendum could lead to recession, fears Bank of Spain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Former nightlife king Tolo Cursach refused bail as he returns to jail in Palma - 13 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00