MALLORCA is limbering up for the Palma Marathon.
The much-anticipated event on the autumn calendar will make a difference to the lives of many local children.
The brainchild of the Allen Graham Charity, founded in 1992 by British expat Allen Graham, the October 15 fixture will see teams of sponsored runners competing in the race through the capital to raise funds for young people in the island’s children’s homes.
Some of the children were abandoned, others entered the system when parents were arrested, one boy even ran across the Sahara Desert to seek safety in Mallorca.
The number of children in the system runs into hundreds but every child receives two presents at Christmas, an Easter egg in spring and a new book of their choice from El Corte Ingles on International Book Day.
The charity also helps gifted children with the start they need to succeed, whether that’s paying university fees or funding accommodation.
The charity paid for a violin and lessons for one talented child, and bought the kit for a young footballer accepted into the local academy.
The money comes from items sold in their charity shops, local fundraisers and general donations. Many of the children volunteer at the Palma shop once they leave the system at 18, gaining valuable work experience.
Alongside the Palma Marathon, the mainland band Amigas Para Siempre will be staging their annual fundraiser for the children’s charity at the Boat House in Magaluf.
To get involved visit www.agrahamcharity.org or their shops in Palma or Pollensa.
- Sexy gingers who want a trip to Ibiza CLICK HERE - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 16:35
- The most beautiful village in Mallorca has been named - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 10:56
- Gender violence a top priority for New Police Commissioner of the Balearics - 11 Dec, 2018 @ 17:03
- Environmentalists call for huge expansion of the Cabrera National Park - 11 Dec, 2018 @ 15:50
- Promenade promises to create a whole new look for visitors arriving in Palma - 5 Nov, 2018 @ 11:13
- Five dead – including British tourists – and dozens still missing in Mallorca’s biggest flood in decades - 10 Oct, 2018 @ 10:11
- British tourist found floating in Ibiza’s Port of Sant Antoni - 6 Aug, 2018 @ 11:58
- Young expat starts campaign to raise awareness against balconing in Spain - 6 Aug, 2018 @ 11:09
- Boat propeller hacks off arm and leg of two young tourists in Spain - 1 Aug, 2018 @ 14:48
- Nit de L’Art and a month long Jazz festival coming to Sa Pobla - 23 Jul, 2018 @ 08:42