THE cost of renting Ibiza yachts has plummeted in recent months, according to nautical officials.
Last year, 50% of registered boats on the island’s Captiania Maritima were for hire, according to Ibiza Nautical Association’s president Ramon Diaz.
And with the price of renting a 5-6 metre-long boat dropping from 700 euros a day to around 250, Diaz has demanded action.
“Because of the large number of boats, prices are dropping massively,” he said.
Diaz has called for additional mooring space to accommodate boats which have been bought.
The cost of mooring a 12-metre yacht in Ibiza is around €30,000 a year, he added, with the same-sized boat on the mainland costing just €2,000.
“We are the only island in the Balearics without a specific site for these boats,” he added.
“In summer, boats from outside Ibiza are moored in coves. There is interest in buying boats, but there is no mooring.”
Last month, the Balearic government announced it was halting an additional 2,000 mooring berths with fears over the environmental impact
- EXPLAINED: The grey skies and punishing hot winds which arrived on Spain’s Costa del Sol today - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 22:06
- Potimarron Message – Fruits from the heart! - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 14:15
- Tai Chi in the river of Happiness with Master Choy - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 13:59
- Two young Brits rescued from ravine after getting lost on Marbella’s La Concha mountain - 8 Jul, 2019 @ 15:57
- That perfect Spanish afternoon can prove more elusive than first thought, writes Lesley Keith - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 12:19
- ‘I will work hard for you’, promises Bill Anderson, the first ever Brit to serve on Mijas Council - 5 Jul, 2019 @ 17:02
- Figuring out your next career move: Where to start from? - 3 Jul, 2019 @ 10:19
- Online Sports Betting in Spain – Where to Play & What’s Legal? - 2 Jul, 2019 @ 09:16
- A secret escape just 10 minutes from the Costa del Sol - 29 Jun, 2019 @ 09:00
- Creative cuisine has finally started to revolutionise the Axarquia and Costa Tropical’s dining scene - 28 Jun, 2019 @ 11:14