THE cost of renting Ibiza yachts has plummeted in recent months, according to nautical officials.
Last year, 50% of registered boats on the island’s Captiania Maritima were for hire, according to Ibiza Nautical Association’s president Ramon Diaz.
And with the price of renting a 5-6 metre-long boat dropping from 700 euros a day to around 250, Diaz has demanded action.
“Because of the large number of boats, prices are dropping massively,” he said.
Diaz has called for additional mooring space to accommodate boats which have been bought.
The cost of mooring a 12-metre yacht in Ibiza is around €30,000 a year, he added, with the same-sized boat on the mainland costing just €2,000.
“We are the only island in the Balearics without a specific site for these boats,” he added.
“In summer, boats from outside Ibiza are moored in coves. There is interest in buying boats, but there is no mooring.”
Last month, the Balearic government announced it was halting an additional 2,000 mooring berths with fears over the environmental impact
- Read our latest newspapers: Andalucia, Mallorca, Costa Blanca & Gibraltar - 26 May, 2019 @ 09:35
- Meet Kaat Buelens, an expat Sabinillas restaurant owner and political underdog running to be your local councillor in Manilva - 25 May, 2019 @ 14:00
- Open letter from PP’s Javier Quero to people of Casares, as he bids to become mayor and ‘return Casares to its former glory’ - 25 May, 2019 @ 12:00
- WATCH: As featured in Olive Press, The Paradise Retreat that has won International Acclaim - 25 May, 2019 @ 10:30
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER! :Expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections – in which FINALLY foreigners count - 24 May, 2019 @ 01:45
- Travelling to Madrid for the Champions League Final? How to Stay Safe in the Capital - 22 May, 2019 @ 15:24
- Why is Customer Service Training Important to a Business - 21 May, 2019 @ 16:38
- Is La Liga in Danger of Irrelevance? - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:21
- Sign up with Spain’s only ‘all-in- English’ mobile service - 21 May, 2019 @ 06:46
- Spanish study finds that eating nuts in first trimester of pregnancy improves child brain development - 19 May, 2019 @ 11:00