MARBELLA has officially bidded to host the next Davis Cup tie between Spain and Great Britain.
Mayor Angeles Munoz and Sports Councillor Javier Merida travelled to Madrid on Thursday to present the town’s candidacy to the Spanish Tennis Federation.
The tie will take place from February 2 to 4.
If the bid is successful, the tie will take place at the Puente Romana hotel, which has agreed to build additional stands to accommodate the crowds.
The proposal argued that Marbella will have optimum temperatures and is surrounded by thousands of hotel beds while being just 40 minutes from Malaga airport.
Spain and the UK are considered to be among the biggest competitors in the Davis Cup.
If their star players commit to next year’s tournament, it would see two teams lead by Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray, meaning the world no.1 and no.2 would battle it out in one of the singles matches.
- Mercadona refuses to review security measures on Spain’s Costa del Sol after string of British expats robbed in its stores - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 13:33
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33