GUARDIA Civil are warning mobile phone users of the ‘missed call scam’ affecting Andalucia and Spain.
The scam sees victims receive one-dial calls from Albania, Ghana, Ivory Coast or Nigeria.
When they see the missed call and attempt to ring back, a high surcharge is added to their account which the scammers skim from.
El timo de la llamada perdida vuelve a la carga y suele usar estos prefijos:
225 ????Costa de Marfil
No devuelvas la llamada a esos prefijos (a menos que sea de alguien a quien conoces, claro????)
— Guardia Civil (@guardiacivil) November 28, 2017
Authorities are warning phone users to avoid prefixes 335, 225, 223 and 234.
Guardia Civil warned the scam is occuring more and more frequently, saying: “The scam of the missed call returns to the charge, do not return the call to those prefixes (unless it is from someone you know, of course).”
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37
- British giant Virgin Trains eyes up moving into Spain market after UK becomes ‘uninvestable’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:49
- Expert says southern Spain and Balearics at ‘great risk’ of tsunamis but authorities ‘are not prepared’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:19