GUARDIA Civil are warning mobile phone users of the ‘missed call scam’ affecting Andalucia and Spain.
The scam sees victims receive one-dial calls from Albania, Ghana, Ivory Coast or Nigeria.
When they see the missed call and attempt to ring back, a high surcharge is added to their account which the scammers skim from.
El timo de la llamada perdida vuelve a la carga y suele usar estos prefijos:
225 ????Costa de Marfil
No devuelvas la llamada a esos prefijos (a menos que sea de alguien a quien conoces, claro????)
— Guardia Civil (@guardiacivil) November 28, 2017
Authorities are warning phone users to avoid prefixes 335, 225, 223 and 234.
Guardia Civil warned the scam is occuring more and more frequently, saying: “The scam of the missed call returns to the charge, do not return the call to those prefixes (unless it is from someone you know, of course).”
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40