HOURS before the official opening, the Sóller tunnel was opened with free access for all.
A ceremonial opening with President Francina Armengol and Consell President Miquel Ensenyat was planned for 11pm, with a coach bus passing as the first free customer.
Instead, the company in charge of the tunnel opened the gates at 2:30pm, allowing for hours of free passengers. The move is said to have been to test the tension between administrators Globalvia and the politicians who agreed to bail out the concession almost five years early.
The tunnel’s administrators argue that a midnight opening was complicated and an early opening was easier for everyone.
The Sóller tunnel was inaugurated in 1997 under President Jaume Matas.
- Sexy gingers who want a trip to Ibiza CLICK HERE - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 16:35
- The most beautiful village in Mallorca has been named - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 10:56
- Gender violence a top priority for New Police Commissioner of the Balearics - 11 Dec, 2018 @ 17:03
- Environmentalists call for huge expansion of the Cabrera National Park - 11 Dec, 2018 @ 15:50
- Promenade promises to create a whole new look for visitors arriving in Palma - 5 Nov, 2018 @ 11:13
- Five dead – including British tourists – and dozens still missing in Mallorca’s biggest flood in decades - 10 Oct, 2018 @ 10:11
- British tourist found floating in Ibiza’s Port of Sant Antoni - 6 Aug, 2018 @ 11:58
- Young expat starts campaign to raise awareness against balconing in Spain - 6 Aug, 2018 @ 11:09
- Boat propeller hacks off arm and leg of two young tourists in Spain - 1 Aug, 2018 @ 14:48
- Nit de L’Art and a month long Jazz festival coming to Sa Pobla - 23 Jul, 2018 @ 08:42