THE PSOE have called for Spain’s traffic boss to be sacked over what they say has been a total mishandling of the snow chaos.
The Socialists today called on Home Secretary Juan Ignacio Zoido to sack Gregorio Serrano, head of traffic body DGT, for the ‘atrocious mismanagment’ of the weekend’s events just north of Madrid.
“To be able to turn up in Congress with a bit of credibility, Zoido should bring the dismissal of the director of traffic with him”, said PSOE spokesman Óscar Puente, who is also the Mayor of Valladolid (Castilla y León).
It comes after thousands of drivers and passengers were left stranded in snow overnight on Saturday, many on a privately managed toll motorway, the AP-6.
Hundreds of soldiers had to be deployed to rescue trapped passengers, some who had been there for more than 13 hours.
“The drivers who were trapped on the AP-6 are not responsible for events”, said Puente, “that’s what the law says and that’s what legal precedent says. The director of the DGT should know that.”
Partido Popular spokesman Fernando Martínez Maíllo apologised to drivers this morning during a programme on state broadcaster TVE, admitting that ‘something went wrong’.
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38
- Neanderthal FOOTPRINT found in Gibraltar by crack team of British and Spanish scientists - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:08
- Elderly couple discover multiple sets of human remains in newly bought home on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 13:27
- ANOTHER bank leaves Gibraltar ‘thanks to Brexit’ as opposition party calls on government to encourage big businesses to stay on the Rock - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:53
- British drug dealer cuffed ‘outside military establishment’ in Gibraltar carrying large amounts of cocaine - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 15:37