THE PSOE have called for Spain’s traffic boss to be sacked over what they say has been a total mishandling of the snow chaos.
The Socialists today called on Home Secretary Juan Ignacio Zoido to sack Gregorio Serrano, head of traffic body DGT, for the ‘atrocious mismanagment’ of the weekend’s events just north of Madrid.
“To be able to turn up in Congress with a bit of credibility, Zoido should bring the dismissal of the director of traffic with him”, said PSOE spokesman Óscar Puente, who is also the Mayor of Valladolid (Castilla y León).
It comes after thousands of drivers and passengers were left stranded in snow overnight on Saturday, many on a privately managed toll motorway, the AP-6.
Hundreds of soldiers had to be deployed to rescue trapped passengers, some who had been there for more than 13 hours.
“The drivers who were trapped on the AP-6 are not responsible for events”, said Puente, “that’s what the law says and that’s what legal precedent says. The director of the DGT should know that.”
Partido Popular spokesman Fernando Martínez Maíllo apologised to drivers this morning during a programme on state broadcaster TVE, admitting that ‘something went wrong’.
- Marbella has never lost its charm – in fact it’s only getting better, writes Laurence Dollimore - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35