The pair, around 40 years of age, were reportedly working as porters, carrying goods into Ceuta, when the hundreds of people trying to enter the enclave began to mount at around 5.30am.
Authorities say the ‘crush’ took place on a hill closest to the Moroccan frontier post of Bab Sebta.
It is here where authorities separate porters entering Ceuta from domestic workers going into the city, with porters entering the Spanish territory through the Tarajal II pedestrian crossing point and other workers using a different crossing.
Since last summer, women have been allowed to carry goods into Ceuta every Monday and Wednesday, while men have been permitted on Tuesday and Thursday.
However long queues of people and vehicles are still reported by Spanish media.
Reports say hundreds of people usually wait during the night for the opportunity to take their goods into Ceuta in the early hours of the morning when the frontier opens.
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38
- Neanderthal FOOTPRINT found in Gibraltar by crack team of British and Spanish scientists - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:08
- Elderly couple discover multiple sets of human remains in newly bought home on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 13:27
- ANOTHER bank leaves Gibraltar ‘thanks to Brexit’ as opposition party calls on government to encourage big businesses to stay on the Rock - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:53
- British drug dealer cuffed ‘outside military establishment’ in Gibraltar carrying large amounts of cocaine - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 15:37
- IN PICS: Torching of Marbella beach club – favourite of Pamela Anderson and Eva Longoria – ‘most likely settling of accounts’, police reveal - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 13:20