A MALLORCA priest has claimed sexual abuse allegations against him are part of an extortion plot.
The former chaplain, 74, is accused of molesting a 12-year-old girl while she took a nap at his home in Santanyi in 2015.
The pensioner says the claims are ‘baseless’ and made up by the father, who owes debt collectors €60,000.
According to the holy man, the dad previously threatened to make up sexual abuse claims in a bid to extort money from him.
“The claims are absolutely false,” he said, “I did not have physical contact with her in any way.”
The young girl was taking a nap in the priest’s home when he allegedly felt her body, forcing her to elbow away his advances.
The claims have been backed up by the alleged victim’s therapist, who says she has developed severe anxiety and a fear of men.
She had sought counsel from the clergyman after her mother died and her father had begun seeing another woman.
It is the second recent trial in Mallorca in which a priest has been accused of sexually abusing a minor.
In 2016, Pere Bárceló, the former parish priest of Can Picafort, was sentenced to six years in prison for sexual assault and child abuse.
The case continues.
- Activists propose daily tax for Balearic cruise ship passengers - 26 May, 2018 @ 21:02
- Branson embraces Balearic life while Necker Island is rebuilt - 26 May, 2018 @ 18:44
- Chinese film industry eyes up purchase of Spanish locations - 26 May, 2018 @ 16:44
- Podemos leader faces confidence vote after ‘luxury’ home purchase - 26 May, 2018 @ 12:13
- Stunning Kensington pine walk property goes on the market in Pollensa - 25 May, 2018 @ 17:13
- Magaluf hit-and-run Brit is younger sister of expat drug lord - 25 May, 2018 @ 13:13
- Balearic president to meet with airlines to safeguard resident discounts - 25 May, 2018 @ 11:19
- Airport group goes public with concerns over transporting drunk passengers - 24 May, 2018 @ 16:44
- British tourists warned over balcony antics in new safety video - 24 May, 2018 @ 14:37
- British bar managed arrested over the death of Northern Irish tourist in Magaluf - 24 May, 2018 @ 12:33