RISING British tennis star Kyle Edmund has been ruled out of the opening day of Team GB’s first-round Davis Cup match against Spain.
The Australian Open semi-finalist had been hoping to feature, saying he was ‘doing his best’ to recover from a hip problem he struggled with during his defeat by Marin Cilic in Melbourne last week.
Liam Broady and Cameron Norrie will play in his place in their first ever Davis Cup tie.
World No 165 Broady will take on 21-ranked Albert Ramos-Vinolas in the opening rubber on Friday.
The event is taking place at the Puente Romano hotel on Marbella’s Golden Mile.
- MISSING: British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, disappears on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:25
- British expat arrested for starting forest fire on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 May, 2019 @ 21:15
- Top British rugby player fighting for his life after falling from major Spain airport car park - 20 May, 2019 @ 16:54
- British expat benefits cheat who stole more than €90,000 from UK coffers while living on Spain’s Costa del Sol given 900 YEARS to pay back debt - 20 May, 2019 @ 10:56
- 7 times town halls in Spain had us screaming ‘what were they thinking?’ - 19 May, 2019 @ 16:21
- Left-wing government could spell trouble for property investors - 19 May, 2019 @ 09:59
- GUILTY: Westley Capper and Craig Porter verdict in but ‘both will AVOID JAIL’ over Agnese Klavina disappearance, Capper to appeal - 17 May, 2019 @ 19:48
- IN PICS: The jobs of the past in Spain made (almost) obsolete by modern life - 17 May, 2019 @ 14:16
- REVEALED: The 5 towns in Malaga set to receive FREE public wifi thanks to EU initiative - 16 May, 2019 @ 14:24
- WATCH: Afilador plies his trade on Costa del Sol as one of the last to practice long-held Spanish tradition - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:40