A FILM chronicling the lives of two pioneering lesbians is under the works in Spain.
It comes 117 years after Elisa and Marcela posed as a man and a woman and got married by a priest at the San Jorge church in A Coruña.
Elisa disguised herself as ‘Mario’ and the event remains the only known same-sex marrige in the history of the Spanish Catholic Church.
But it wouldn’t be long before the loved-up couple were rumbled.
They forced to spend the rest of their lives on the run from persecution across two continents.
And now their story is to be made into a film by Isabel Coixet, whose latest movie The Bookshop, with Emily Mortimer and Bill Nighy, is soon to be released in the UK.
“When I think about these two women and the courage it took for one of them to pretend to be a man, it was unbelievably brave,” Coixet told the BBC.
“I was fascinated the first time I heard about the story, which almost raised more questions than it has answers.
“We don’t know what happened to them in the end, and how did they think they would get away with it?”
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37
- British giant Virgin Trains eyes up moving into Spain market after UK becomes ‘uninvestable’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:49
- Expert says southern Spain and Balearics at ‘great risk’ of tsunamis but authorities ‘are not prepared’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:19