A BRITISH expat has tragically died after falling down a flight of stairs in Spain.
Steve Parkin, 41, who moved to Mijas five years ago, suffered serious head injuries and later died at the Carlos Haya hospital in Malaga.
The Huddersfield-born Brit was living with his parents Christine and Jeff in Mijas and had run his own fish and chips business before working in advertising.
Mother Christine died in Spain last February after a short illness and Steven’s funeral was held at Fuengirola Crematorium where he had attended his mum’s service.
Steven leaves his dad and also aunties Pauline, Mary and Valerie.
Family friend Brian Hayhurst said: “Steve often joined the Huddersfield groups and gatherings here on the Costa. He was always a lively character with a never ending smile.
“His enigmatic personality and leadership skills were highlighted by the hundreds of heartfelt online tributes resulting in a memorial fund being set up.
“I do hope the idea being discussed of a Steve Parkin junior squash competition with trophy will go ahead, possibly at the Huddersfield Lawn Tennis and Squash Club.”
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37
- British giant Virgin Trains eyes up moving into Spain market after UK becomes ‘uninvestable’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:49
- Expert says southern Spain and Balearics at ‘great risk’ of tsunamis but authorities ‘are not prepared’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:19