According to trade unions, 45% of women in the province receive less than minimum wage, while their average salary sits at €13,600, compared to €17,453 for men – a gap of around €4,000.
The unions have also voiced concerns that 94.2% of contracts signed by women last year in Malaga were temporary – with more than two thirds (68%) being less than a month long.
Part-time hiring, both in permanent and temporary contracts, showed a similar percentage (64.6%). Women also sign 50% more contracts of this type than men.
“This part-time hiring is not what women want, it is the only access to the market they have, so it is not only that we charge less but that our work is systematically more precarious,” said CCOO union spokeswoman Saray Pineda.
CCOO and UGT have pointed out that the salary gap in the Personal and Leisure Services sector is around 49%, while in other higher salaries, such as that of financial institutions and insurers, it is 35%.
“The woman works double, and with this overload can not aspire to promotion or be incentivised,”, said the unions, which have demanded a Law on Equal Pay.
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31
- British expats facing 12 years in prison and €84,000 in compensation costs as trial over missing Agnese Klavina begins in Malaga TODAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:22