IT is the perfect place to hole up for a weekend escape.
And at just 20 minutes from Palma, it couldn’t be easier to get to.
Yet, despite its proximity to Mallorca’s capital, Son Viscos, in Valldemossa, is surrounded by some of the island’s most stunning countryside.
The B&B sits in amazing terraced grounds, with a profusion of plants, a wonderful bamboo grove, and two former Moorish mills.
There are some lovely views, including up to the nearby village, where composer Frederic Chopin once lived.
Each of the five well appointed rooms are decorated with a range of antiques picked up from around the world.
There is a big communal dining/sitting area, where you will eat a fabulously healthy breakfast in the morning.
Best of all though, are the walks around the area, which are (mostly) well-signposted and offer up some of the best scenery in Europe.
Ask the British/Venezuelan owners for their advice on where to start and the level of difficulty.
I took a rather convoluted yomp directly up the back of the hotel, cutting my way through deep undergrowth, before finally finding my way.
Many will simply prefer the easy ten minute stroll into the charming nearby village for a spot of lunch.
There are plenty of places to eat, including the rather eccentric QuitaPenas, which only really serves up one dish… a mixed plate of local meats, cheeses and other delicacies.
On a plus side it was fresh and organic and also served some good local wines.
For more information visit www.sonviscosvalldemossa.com
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00