MARBELLA, Estepona and Benahavis are officially among the hottest and ‘most mature’ markets in Spain.
The three towns saw sales shoot up by 11.15% in 2017 compared to the year before, exceeding pre-2007 levels by 10.4%.
The rest of Spain, meanwhile, still lags 21% behind pre-financial crisis levels.
The figures come from The Marbella Property Market Report 2018, compiled by Christopher Clover at Panorama Properties – Marbella’s longest-running estate agency.
Estepona saw sales rocket by 28.3% last year, while Marbella saw a 6.9% boost.
This is mainly due to Estepona having greater availability of urbanizable land, while there are delays of a year or more when applying for building permits in Marbella. Estepona is also cheaper.
Demand in the most sought-after areas of Marbella is outstripping supply and in urbanisations like Casablanca on the Golden Mile, prices have almost doubled.
Meanwhile, in Benahavís, 499 Sold boards went up, representing 6.7% of the total 7,487 purchases made in the three municipalities.
The National Institute of Statistics (INE) has confirmed that Malaga – driven by hotspots like Marbella – had the fourth highest amount of sales last year (30,064 compared to 15,917 in the Balearic Islands), beaten only by Madrid, Barcelona and Alicante.
And the sales boom is having a positive knock-on effect in attracting new businesses.
In 2017 there was a net increase of 924 start-ups in the municipality of Marbella.
Panorama CEO Clover said 2018 and the years to come ‘represent an exceptional time, perhaps even a historic opportunity to acquire properties in this area.’
- SLOW TRAVEL: Run down your rev count in Ronda where slow travel is the new mantra - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 09:59
- FILTHY RICH: How the other half live when on holiday in southern Spain, from Saudi Royalty to British prime ministers and American billionaires - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 08:50
- PICTURED: ‘Shark’ spotted near swimmers on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:38
- Don’t miss the Bollywood and glitter themed pool parties at Max Beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:42
- EXPLAINED: The grey skies and punishing hot winds which arrived on Spain’s Costa del Sol today - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 22:06
- Potimarron Message – Fruits from the heart! - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 14:15
- Tai Chi in the river of Happiness with Master Choy - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 13:59
- Two young Brits rescued from ravine after getting lost on Marbella’s La Concha mountain - 8 Jul, 2019 @ 15:57
- That perfect Spanish afternoon can prove more elusive than first thought, writes Lesley Keith - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 12:19
- ‘I will work hard for you’, promises Bill Anderson, the first ever Brit to serve on Mijas Council - 5 Jul, 2019 @ 17:02